In the development of LED technology, it was initially planned to produce a single type of LED, but over time it was realized that this was not a viable approach. With the technological developments, different types of LED packages have emerged. TH LED, Mid-power LED, High-power LED, COB (Chip-on-board) LED,...
There are two different application models, direct and indirect, for indoor and outdoor lighting. In direct lighting, the light is directed downwards, directly onto the surface to be illuminated. In indirect lighting, the light is directed upwards and reflected from the wall or ceiling.
The Biomass Production Laboratory at McGill University, is doing research in urban agriculture. Recent innovations with LED as a plant energy source, has brought about this new area of research. Compared to conventional lighting techniques when growing tomatoes, an arrangement of red and blue lights has proven to increase growth, improve...
By using LED lights, automated sensors, and an automated control system, researchers at Michigan State University created a long day lighting (LDL) system at Wing Acres Dairy and solved the technical difficulties that were faced by Michigan dairies, leading to less productivity.
The Industrial Technology Research Institute, Taiwan, has developed a new In-Line Compact Thermal Analyzer Technology (ICTA), which reduces the testing time to 0.3 seconds, an improvement of the LED thermal testing time by more than 90%. It also offers a measurement speed of 12,000 LEDs per hour.
The standard high-brightness LED merely converts about 45% of energy, while the rest 55% is given out as mere heat. Now, it is important to quickly remove heat from the LED in order to prevent overheating of the LEDs. This is known as thermal management that has been challenging the manufacturers...
Seoul Semiconductor, a leading global innovator of LED products and technology, today announced that the leading Chinese e-commerce company JingDong has adopted Seoul Semiconductor’s SunLike Series natural spectrum LEDs for its first desk lamp product line.
For the first time, an international research group has uncovered the core mechanism that limits indium (In) incorporation into indium gallium nitride ((In, Ga) N) thin films – the key material for blue light emitting diodes (LEDs).
Demand for energy efficient LED bulbs is picking up. However, there have been complaints that energy efficient light bulbs cause headaches. According to a professor at England’s University of Essex, LED lights flicker around 100 times per second, which is known to cause headaches and or leading to pain or...
Researchers from KU Leuven (Belgium), the University of Strasbourg, and CNRS have discovered a new phosphor that can pave way for efficient and cheap fluorescent and LED lighting, The researchers used highly luminescent clusters of silver atoms and the porous structure of minerals called zeolites.
Although LEDs have now become popular and their applications are increasing, white LEDs still need some improvement. Moreover, manufacturing white LEDs is quite complicated. Researchers at University of Erlangen (FAU) have developed a new and unique method of manufacturing LEDs. They have made LEDs partly with fluorescent proteins.
For the first time, researchers have created light-emitting diodes (LEDs) on lightweight flexible metal foil. Engineers at Ohio State University are developing the foil based LEDs for portable ultraviolet (UV) lights that soldiers and others can use to purify drinking water and sterilize medical equipment.
Researchers from Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, Russia along with scientist from the UK and Taiwan have come up with a new photonic white light-emitting diode (LED) structure with unparalleled efficiency parameters. This new technology has paved way for ultra-thin and reasonable LEDs.
Currently, most deep-UV lamps are mercury-based. They pose a threat to the environment, and are bulky and inefficient. A Cornell research group led by Huili (Grace) Xing and Debdeep Jena, along with collaborators from the University of Notre Dame, has reported progress in creating a smaller, more earth-friendly alternative.
Scientists at the University of Cambridge’s Cavendish Laboratory have blended two polymers to create ultrahigh efficiency, low voltage polymer light emitting diodes (PLEDs) to maximize light output from the devices. According to a research study published in the journal Applied Materials Today a blend of two polymers can be used...